zondag 2 mei 2021

Not doing sit-ups anytime soon

Pfff.... it was a bit of a week, last week. Learned a lot about hospital (non-)communication and about drains. Learned about how to add protein to my diet and learned to build great pillow forts in my own bed. 

Last Monday I got a call from a newby hospital assistant that my drainage procedure was scheduled for Wednesday instead of Tuesday and "neeeh, I don´t believe you´ll get anastaesia, I am sure you´ll be fine". which made me look forward even more to it all. Ah well, already been through a bit, how bad could this be. 

By the time Wednesday morning came around, I felt ready and strong to get this whole thing over and done with. For this time anyway, as it might just be that this ascitis might come back. So blood tests and all done, I got installed in my single room on the 10th floor. 

And then the clock turned 13.00 and I got to meet Dimitri the drain man. He unwrapped a mega needle (really, MEGA!) and upon looking at my shocked expression told me he´d only be using the top 3 cm for the sedation. Why the heck make this needle so long then? I was glad to get the anastaesia but let me tell you that these top 3 cm sure hurt. It is kind of a strange sensation to have a tube stuck into your abdomen to drain fluid, but boy was it necessary. 

After 24 hours, they had drained 7 liters! 

With that fluid being gone, my stomach and all the rest of my intestines started their party to find their right spot again and that party was good for them, but slightly painful for me. Let me tell you: I won´t be doing sit-ups anytime soon! 

With plenty of painkillers in my bag, I got to go home on Thursday. 

So what´s next? 
- I had my MRI on Friday and hope to get the results either tomorrow or the day after. When all is well, the next step is going on with the research program and get on with the new treatment,
- If all is not well, we need to figure out the fastest way to get radiation treatment under way in one of the University hospitals in Oslo. As soon as that is fixed (whatever is wrong in my neck), we can get under way with the new treatment. 

In the meantime:
- building pillow fortresses in my bed to find the most comfortable position and sleep like a rock
- finding things both my stomach and me feel like eating (sounds easier than it is)
- getting the house and garden ready for spring

Should you have any questions with regards to what´s gonna happen or what has happened with regards to the treatment, don´t hesitate to ask. I´ll do my best to answer to the best of my abilities. 

Feels a bit like Treatment Adventure part 4378 is about to start! 

2 opmerkingen:

Jos zei

Meissie, meissie. Snap helemaal wat je allemaal meemaakt. Ervaringsdeskundige heet zoiets. Hou je taai. blijf gewoon lachen, deed ik ook en helpt echt. Of gewoon, zoals ik soms deed, iemand in stilte afsijken. Had ik in mezelf de grootste lol. Groetjes, Jos

Jo Hamperium zei

Lief, je reactie. Ga morgen weer met een nieuw avontuur beginnen: vanwege ongunstige uitslag MRI nu aan de bestralingen voor 2 weken en daarna als alles goed gaat aan de immuun therapie. Ik ga er lachend heen en kom lachend terug.
Op naar een mooie en actieve zomer! Liefs, J.